TNB TV
Please enjoy filmmaker Mark McKnight’s portrait of author and TNB Executive Editor Jonathan Evison. This vignette follows Johnny as he repairs his bunny fortress, “McBunnyland,” receives the Washington State Book Award, and then goes camping at Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge.

The Nervous Breakdown is an online culture magazine and literary community. It was founded in 2006. Our masthead can be found here.

9 responses to “Jonathan Evison: Author and Bunny Lover”

Beautiful.
    ‘I throw myself at life and I can use it.’Thanks Jonathan. You just made the world a little bit easier for me to understand.

2. jonathan evison says:

. . . so glad you got something out of this, zara!

• Zara Potts says:

I really did! It’s amazing how sometimes you hear the just the right things at exactly the right time that help make everything make sense… That’s what I got out of this. Thank you.

3. Kip Tobin says:

Wow, what an illuminating vid, snippet of you and your life as a writer, slickly directed. You really come through here.

I really dug that rabbit part, too, and your quoting of Kaufman about it’s not what you get but what you give, or love. That Kaufman is a brilliant, slanted cookie. Synechdoche, NY is the most profound American movie I’ve ever seen. (All his other stuff is great as well, he just directed Syn, NY.)

You’re adage “I write because I have to” reminded me of what Miller said (or maybe it was Bukowski), that writers write simply because to not do so would be as abnormal as not eating or breathing. It’s never a question of should you write; there is no dilemma if you’re truly a writer. And you sir, truly are. Heartfelt congrats on the vid, the life and continued success with writing.

Also, nice Lebowski ABIDE morphed-OBEY shirt, by the way.

4. jonathan evison says:

. . . thanks for the lovely words, kip . . . i guess now’s a good time to tell you that i used your name in west of here for a character! . . . the name popped into my head a few years ago, and i didn’t put it together until a year ago that it was your name . . . so, hopefully, you can sue me or something!!!

• Kip Tobin says:

Kip is pretty unusual, and I’ve probably held to it because of that reason, that an unusual name makes for an unusual person — in a good way. Everyone’s always called me Kip in spite of it being a nickname given at birth. I remember switching back to my real name, Stephen or “Steve” when I was in fourth grade because the kids would call me “Kip the dick”, but after six months or so, after a consultation with my dad where he told me, “There are many Steves, but very few Kips. Which would you prefer?” From there the choice was easy. I didn’t mind being called a dick after that.

I very much look forward to reading West of Here when it comes out this fall, partly because I want to see kind of character you created out of my name. It’s rare to read my name in print, as a character in a book.

Muchos saludos.

5. jonathan evison says:

. . .and zara, nothing could please me more to say the right words at the right time for someone . . .

6. […] known over at Three [sic] Guys One Book) remains a somewhat elusive figure — even though he was the subject of a short documentary film.  What do we know about […]