QUENBY MOONE is a graphic designer and the author of a memoir, Living in Twilight, which does not concern vampires who dazzle like diamonds when sunlight plays upon their skin.  She lives in Portland, Oregon, with her husband, a musical genius, and their son, whose genius needs no qualification.

She hangs out with rock stars, or used to.  She swears a lot.  In creative ways, dang-nabbit.  When she wants to find the latest in chic couture, she looks no further than MC Hammer.

Despite her ultimate privacy settings, we know the contents of her underwear drawer.

Her brandied cherries didn’t turn out well.  She sometimes takes jokes a bit too far.

She’s written beautifully and lovingly about her late father and his battle with cancer.  We learned about his love of books, and how he introduced his oft-tired teenage daughter to the miracle and wonder of coffee.  And we were there at the end, when she gave him his boarding pass to cross the River Styx.

Oh, and she found out the hard way that the first rule of first grade is, Don’t talk about Nazis.

TAGS:

The Nervous Breakdown is an online culture magazine and literary community. It was founded in 2006. Our masthead can be found here.

22 responses to “Featuring…Quenby Moone”

Yes, people. YES. Quenby is Queen of the Universe this week. She deserves it for her vocabulary alone. Seriously, I had a dream the other night that I was playing Scrabble with her and woke up all sweaty and pusillanimous. (Take that, Q-Money! 51 points, triple word score!)

(bush tit)

• Quenby Moone says:

Bush tit!

I’m gonna have to look up pusillanimous, but I’m not parsimonious with language. Use it or lose it, I always say! (I’ve never said that. Not once. I’m prone to hyperbole as well as parsimony.)

Scrabble is a losing game for me though. People get 26 points on a triple word score with some stupid two-letter words like ox and I’m still trying to figure out how to use all seven consonants that I have lined up. Latvian place names being unusable in Scrabble, I’m stuck with LZWRjK.

2. Ronlyn Domingue says:

Go Quenby!!!!

Quenby writes the most touching pieces about her Dad.
    She also writes really great family pieces.
    Everyone should read her work.
    (She’s nice, too.)

4. It’s Quenby time! Happy dance everyone! Come on!

Fabulous Q!
    I’m glad it’s you!
    I love your work, I do.
    So graceful, so fine, so true.

6. Art Edwards says:

Yay, Q.

And I finally get the low-down on Screwy and the Pin-ups!

Thanks!

Art

7. Yay it’s Quenby! I can’t watch a movie on a Sunday afternoon without wondering if Quenby’s watching it too. My sister in craptastic matinees. Congrats, Q!

Q$-

A fitting tribute indeed. I love when I see these bits and realize that there are pieces that I’ve yet to read.

Congrats on the honor!

jd

Q-Money!

10. Jessica Blau says:

QUENBY RULES!

It’s Quenby! It’s Quenby! Yippee!

12. Quenby Moone says:

Omigod, so many girl-squeals are rising up in me. You guys are just ridiculously awesome, and my completely fan-girl heart is bursting with goofy joy!

Thanks, you guys. I’m gonna go blush in a corner for a while.

13. I love Quenby. She’s simply the cutest thing ever – I mean, look at that picture of her above.
    I can’t wait marry her – sigh.

14. Uche Ogbuji says:

Woot! I feel like telling a dirty joke now. That should help counter yer blush 😀