Jim Berkland is known as the California Geologist Who Predicts Earthquakes — not by expensive seismic monitoring, but by checking daily tides and tallying up the number of lost cats and dogs in the classified ads. He is hardly alone. There are other people worldwide, both conventional and unconventional, who do predict and forecast earthquakes, too.

Jack Coles, for one, an earthquake predictor with his own link on the www.syzygyjob.com site, uses radio and TV waves to predict quakes. He hears static on the TV and radio and interprets it the way others interpret ear tones. He can also see the interference on TV. Berkland told me, “Some of Jack’s predictions have been uncanny, such as the first one I knew of. A geologist friend pointed out a small advertisement in the San Jose Mercury News from someone claiming to have predicted the Loma Prieta quake and offering his predictive services. I decided to check him out and phoned his number that evening in early 1990. ‘Oh, Mr. Berkland,’ he said when I identified myself. ‘I have been following you for years. It’s funny that just as the phone rang I got a warning for a local 4.0 quake from the static on my TV.’” Sure enough, the next morning a 4.2 quake shook Livermore, says Berkland, who can verify at least three more predictions from Coles that were on the money. “Hewlett Packard admired what he was doing and lent him a $50,000 Frequency Analyzer which was most helpful. Of course,” he adds, “there were also some notorious failures, but nobody said that earthquake prediction would be easy.”

But Coles doesn’t make it look hard. In early April 2005, I noted his forecast was posted on www.syzygyjob.com for a quake to strike the area from San Francisco to Los Angeles, California, effective through April 20, 2005. The percentage of probability was 57 percent that a shaker would occur between 4.4 and 5.5. The likely dates were April 6, 7, 8, 19, and 20. As a San Francisco Bay Area native, I had a special interest in this prediction. On April 16, I read on the Internet that a moderate 5.1 earthquake occurred 12 miles from Mettler, California.

Then, on July 28, 2005, Coles phoned Berkland and reported his heightened concern about the area of Japan. Evidently, he didn’t know that there had been at least seven quakes there of 5.0-plus near Honshu since the 6.1 on July 23 that he had correctly predicted two weeks in advance. “I continue to be amazed at how much Jack can do with so little,” says Berkland. Once again, I realized that earthquake prediction can and does work despite what conventional scientists and skeptics believe.

TAGS: , ,

Cal Orey is an accomplished author and journalist. Ms. Orey is the author of several books. She writes a monthly column Earth Changes “I Can Feel the Earth Move” for Oracle 20/20 magazine http://oracle20-20.com , and is the co-founder of http://www.earthquakeepicenterforum.com/index.php You can visit her website www.calorey.com .

13 responses to “Other Quake Predictors: An Excerpt from The Man Who Predicts Earthquakes

Hi Cal! Welcome to TNB!

‘I have been following you for years. It’s funny that just as the phone rang I got a warning for a local 4.0 quake from the static on my TV.’

What an introduction!

2. Cal Orey says:

Hi Simon and others,
    There’s so many ways to sense oncoming shakers. I’ve done it–and do it–and I’ve witnessed other people and pets do it. Once you experience cues before a minor to great quake, it’s something you don’t call a coincidence. Tuning into Earth changes and body/mind cues can and does work. Not all animals and folks can or do do it–but they should. We all have a sixth sense and whether you live on shaky ground or visit somewhere that is seismically active, it’s a good thing to put to work for a head’s up. BTW: Only two states in American are almost seismic free. And the Pacific Ring of Fire? Well, we saw a lot of action already this year…and it’s not over.

3. Cal Orey says:

See this link, too. Jack Coles is not alone! There’s so many of us who can sense oncoming shakers.

4. Judy Prince says:

Here’s a 4-minute Good Morning, America (January 2010) video with surprising news (next, in the accompanying text): “‘People usually associate earthquakes with the West Coast, the Pacific Northwest and Alaska but 39 of the 50 states — including New York and Tennessee — have moderate to high seismic hazard risk, Applegate said.”

“The New Madrid fault in the central United States is particularly dangerous. The fault is among the most active in the country, running from St. Louis to Memphis.”

For the 4-minute video: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/HaitiEarthquake/haiti-earthquake-us-fault-lines-happen-america/story?id=9587272&page=1

5. Cal Orey says:

True, lots of people believe it’s just the Golden State that shakes. So not true. The top four shaky states are: AK, HI, NV and CA…but don’t forget the Pacific Ring of Fire that gives us those major (7.0) to great (8.0) quakes and tsunamis.
    And the East Coast is so not immune. Here’s a 2010 Special Quake Predictions interview I did for Coast to Coast…

6. I predicted at least 11 earthquakes in Turkey.. I found in Turkey during 70’s ionized clouds before earthquakes.. The ionized clouds are formed on the fault lines after the stress occur underground. Dr Freund discovered in recent years that a huge ionization occur on the rocks during the stress and when the ions go to the atmospher, may be some fogs or lower clouds also occur…It depends the humidity of the air… I saw those clouds 11 times and predicted earthquakes in Turkey.. I never knew the place of the quake but I knew the magnitude and also nearly the time… When the clouds occur, all the quakes occued between 24 and 36 hours… The speed or the size of the clouds always gave me some signals to predict the magnitude… I am still working after 40 years to prove that earthquake signals exist.. I have http://www.meteoquake.org and http://www.isfep.com website..

7. Cal Orey says:

Curious here at the golden state. Readers: Do you live on shaky ground or? Ever experience an earthquake?
    I know native Californians can’t relate to hurricanes or twisters (well, I take that back; we’d had some freak ones). Still, if you’ve never been in a shaker it’s not a big deal.
    But imagine being in a foreign country and a Big One hits. Wouldn’t it be cool to be able to sense it before it happens? The bottom line: Duck and cover is still the best advice, especially in CA (heading for the doorway is old school, according to the USGS) unless the infrastructure is less than perfect such as in countries like Haiti. Then, a fight or flight survival mode kicks in (think animals who flee when the Earth moves) and then it’s outdoors away from power lines, buidlings, glass, etc.

• Becky says:

I’m in MN and have never felt an earthquake, here or anywhere else.

Like quakes for you, twisters here are not really a big deal. Unless you’re in the path of one. Twisters are unique in both their absolute destructive force and their (relatively) surgical precision.

At the big end, they’re maybe a mile wide. They don’t stay on the ground for too long, usually (again, all things being relative). Either side of of a tornado (boundaries can be muddy), you’re likely to be terrified, but unharmed. In the middle of it, you could, theoretically, be torn limb from limb. I’ve only actually seen a couple in my life, even though MN has quite a few every year.

They’re such localized events that the odds of being affected by one are, in the end, really not very good. Unlike animals running from shaking ground, people used to living in tornado-riddled areas are more likely, in the midst of a huge storm, to go to the picture window and watch it than high-tail it anywhere. If you do high-tail, it’s supposed to be to the basement, near the center of the house. Then again, you can actually hear a tornado coming. They sound like freight trains, I guess.

• Cal Orey says:

Twisters are intriguing. I was in a 100 mph sandstorm in NV and a blizzard in WY–both very scary. Quakes? Ah, after the 7.1–you feel like it’s the end of the world for just 15 seconds–I can do quakes, and love chasing ’em.

• Andrew Nonadetti says:

“People used to living in tornado-riddled areas are more likely, in the midst of a huge storm, to go to the picture window and watch it….”

We’re not in a high traffic area for twisters but have had a few close calls and plenty of funnel clouds that decided not to touch down. The funniest scene to me was last summer when my Floridian brother was visiting. Big boomers, hail, funnel cloud in the blackening sky and then the town sirens went off while we were at the dinner table. My then-four-year-old calmly got up and very decorously took her uncle’s hand and guided him to the basement door, speaking to him like he was the child, “Now, you’ll want to go downstairs and stay away from the window wells. We’ll come down in a little while if it gets bad but don’t be scared – we’re right up here….” HA!

• Becky says:

Yeah. Most of the time, if you’re going to sustain damage from a storm up here, it will be from straight-line winds or hail or lightning.

The odds of being actually hit by a tornado are pretty remote. But God help you if you are.

Some of those really horrible storms, even without a tornado, can blow out or throw something through the window, though.

8. Cal Orey says:

FYI: I not only predict quakes, but Earth Changes. In the Jan. issue of Oracle 20/20 magazine (online) I dished out predictions for 2010. Twisters and hurricanes for this yr. should be worse than normal.

9. Jeff Gunsch says:

I have probably predicted more than 50 earthquakes in and around Taiwan in the last 3-5 years with very good accuracy and some being very notable. I have also seen many others do it, including Cal.
    I believe many weather and other natural disasters can be predicted well enough in advance to really help people, the unfortuate problem is that a lot of goverments just are not buying in to it and are hard to convince them what we say is real, and of course teaching locals that it is possible is yet another obsticle. But I think someday we will get there.