She looks just like you
my waitress at Sonic.
With her skinny long legs
and the bashful way she waits
for the tip she knows is coming.

I hand her a dollar and she smiles.
“Thank you.”
She curls her u like dew
and it is a divine melody
to my homesick ears.

A barn swallow flitters past
knocking her off balance
and we giggle together.
Her eyes are blue, unlike yours,
but they are as deep as the ocean,
the way yours are as deep as the earth.

“Have a nice day,”
I say
and mean it.

She turns then walks away
and I cry because she is not you.

TAGS: , , ,

When she isn't making movies or music, DUCKY WILSON serves as a spy for the Bokonon Underground Army, living by the foma that makes her brave and kind and healthy and happy. Her poetry has been published in several literary magazines, none of which you've ever read, and her nonfiction work can be read exclusively on The Nervous Breakdown. Currently, she is in development on her next film, an offbeat musical about misfits looking to belong.

13 responses to “My Waitress at Sonic”

I really like this, Ducky. My favorite bit is the interior rhyme of “Thank you/she curls her u like dew.”

• Ducky says:

Ah, thanks Matt. I used to hate my native tongue. Hated the hick sound that some people made. But then I lived in NY for so long that when I finally heard it again, it was like water in a desert. Now I love that Southern lilt. Seek it.

2. Judy Prince says:

Exquisite, Ducky!

Precise, clear, emotion-perfect, sweet with memory…..and *yes* to Matt’s favorite bit.

Another among your many striking images, the second line the surprise key:

“A barn swallow flitters past
    knocking her off balance
    and we giggle together.”

Best,

Judy

• I second that ‘favourite bit’, except I’m from the UK so I’m spelling ‘favourite’ with a ‘u’.

Also, I didn’t realise you’d posted this until now, when I saw a comment in the ‘recent comments’ section… Did this not show up on the main page?

• Ducky says:

Thanks for reading, Judy.

I like writing about moments. Trying to catch the lightning of a moment.

• Judy Prince says:

Nicely put, Ducky: “Trying to catch the lightning of a moment.” Yet catching a moment with all the senses—as well as poetically—which is what you did, is Very Difficult. Good for you, making it sound so simple! More more more!

Best,

Judy

3. Ah, Ducky. Welcome! You’ve crossed over to the dark side. The TNB Poetry Page. Great to have you aboard. I really loved reading this poem. It’s a pleasure to have you on the page.

• Ducky says:

Why is it so bright on the dark side?

Thanks for having me, Rich. It’s an honor to be here amongst such great talent.

4. 1159 says:

Ah Ducky~

love you
    love your words
    love long skinny legs

and to you
    i give the words
    of one Tanya Tucker

When I die
    well I may not go to heaven
    I don’t know if they let cowgirls in
    If they don’t just let me go to
    Texas
    Cause Texas
    is as close as I’ve been

5. Ducky says:

Dear 1159 –

Thank you for loving me.

Thank you for loving Tanya Tucker.

And Texas.