I was 21 when I first got my hands on a book called The Dice Man by virtue of a gift from a friend. It was a book that caught me from the first page, introduced me to the idea of deciding one’s fate by the roll of a die, and was indirectly responsible for a friend’s unsuspecting mother encountering a certain memorable phrase involving a wet sack.

The Dice Man is the story of a psychiatrist, Luke Rhinehart, who finds his way to living his life by the roll of a die. It’s been banned in a number of countries, inspired countless readers to take their immediate fate and divide it up into six options, and earned the label ‘cult classic’.

A few years ago, I idly emailed George Cockcroft, the author of the book. To my surprise, he replied. What’s more, he’s one hell of a nice guy.

One hell of a good interview subject, too.

Did you have any idea that The Dice Man was going to be the cult success it was?

Of course not. In late 1969 an English publisher discovered by chance that I and a friend were working on a potboiler about sex and dope in hippy Mallorca and that I was working on a novel called The Dice Man and my friend also had a novel. He took a look at all three and signed up me to finish my novel and my friend and me to finish up the potboiler. That spring I wrote over 500 pages to finish The Dice Man and contributed 300 pages to the potboiler. My friend and I both expected the potboiler to make us money and The Dice Man, a serious intellectual comic romp, to be a minor literary novel.

We were wrong. When my publisher read the two books he pronounced The Dice Man a near masterpiece and began trying to get out of having to publish the potboiler.

Where did the idea for the book come from – was it the book first, or the dice life?

Dicing with my own life began in my late teens, before I was either a writer or even much of a reader. I used dice to make trivial decisions or to choose among interesting options of things I might do. I used the dice to help me try to overcome some of my many inhibitions. Then, in my early twenties I began to write a tiny bit of fiction. In my first novel, which was about a character named Eric Cannon, a Christ-figure locked up in a mental hospital, a very minor character was a Dr. Luke Rhinehart, who urged his patients to try dice therapy. I wrote less than 100 pages of that novel and about Luke less than ten pages.

Over the next ten years I read widely in literature, philosophy and psychology and began to see that dicing was actually consistent with certain Sufi and Buddhist traditions of  freeing oneself from self. But I always kept my dicing and ideas about dicing secret. It wasn’t until I was 33 when teaching a seminar on freedom that I talked to students about the possibility that dicing -letting chance break into the causal chain of habit – might be the ultimate freedom. The students were so horrified by or fascinated with this idea that I realized I ought to write about it. I resurrected Luke and began a novel immediately titled The Dice Man. I felt immediately I had found my author’s voice.

What was the process of writing the book like?

But one of the consequences of my reading and my dicing was that I had liberated myself from my ambition and my idealism and thus was not driven to be a great writer or even a moderately successful writer. So over the next four summers (when I wasn’t teaching at my college) I worked only sporadically on The Dice Man. By the time the English publisher discovered me on Mallorca in the fall of 1969 I had written only 220 pages of the novel over those four years. That spring I wrote 500 pages and finished it. Nothing like a little money in the offing to inspire the muse.

Is it strange at all, almost 40 years on, to have such cult fame as the author of The Dice Man?

Pretty ridiculous actually. I had received a large advance from an American publisher for the American rights to the book in 1970 and then sold the film rights a year or so later, but the book was not the success at that time that the American publisher expected. In the ‘80s and most of the ‘90s the book stayed in print in only the UK, Denmark and Sweden. It went in and out of print in the U.S. The book was essentially dead.

Then, beginning in the late ’90s, thanks, I believe, to the spreading use of the internet, interest in the book slowly began to revive. Countries that had let the book go out of print began to republish. Countries that had ignored it in the ’70s began to publish it. Media companies contacted me about documentaries or TV series or films about the diceman. Now, ten years later, the book is in print in three times as many countries as it was in the ’70s  and selling more copies than ever.

But the process was so gradual that at no particular time did it seem strange. Only in retrospect does it not only seem strange but utterly miraculous. Can we think of a single other book published in the sixties or seventies that disappeared from view for two decades and is now selling more copies than ever?

How have fans tended to react to you as the author of the book?

There are fans and there are fans. No generalization is possible. The good thing is that one out of every thirty or so fans turns out to be so interesting in his or her own right that we begin a correspondence which is one of the great pleasures of my life. One was a young Australian chap who turned out to be a terrific writer and . . . .

What recommendations do you have for people looking to lead the Dicelife?

Do it or don’t do it, but don’t take it too seriously.

Do you think there’s a particular philosophy that has all the answers?

About the serious questions about human life there is no philosophy that has all the answers. I doubt that there are any that have any of the answers. All the philosophies I’m attracted to and have probably helped me be a happier more fulfilled person are anti-philosophies that spend most of their time trying to remind us not to trust answers, moral codes or beliefs. Answers are not the solution, but more often the problem.

Would you want there to be?

Horrors, no.

Could you recommend six options for me to take?

1. Write a big novel.
2. Get back to San Francisco by hook or by crook.
3. Avoid roofs.
4. Let George help me publish a book of my best work.
5. Stop all writing for three months and do some dice-directed traveling.
6. Find a new girl friend, possibly the actress I lusted for two years ago.

What are the best and the worst things that being the author of The Dice Man has brought you?

The best thing is creating new friends. There are no bad things.

What has living the dice life taught you?

Let go. Be loose. Move on. Be a nobody and enjoy it. Always remember there is nothing to do and no one to be. Hallelujah!

Did the potboiler ever actually get published? What’s next on the agenda? Or is are you living agenda-free these days?

Interesting questions, Simon, and you’ll be surprised to know answering the first one will also answer the second one.

My collaborator on the potboiler, who was only 21 at the time we collaborated (I was 37), had a distinct convoluted  William Faulkner style, without humor, that was often in a character’s mind.  I had a much more simple style and was writing comedy using a lot of dialogue. We wrote alternate chapters, I concentrating on the character of Katya and my friend Jay on the character of Diane.

As you will easily have concluded, the result was not a good book. Our publisher wasn’t enthusiastic about it. When in the early fall of 1970 I received a large advance for the American rights to The Dice Man I decided to reward Jay for his having talked up The Dice Man to the publisher who eventually  published it, since left to my own devices I probably would never have contacted a publisher or ever finished the book. So I bought out Jay’s interest in our potboiler, giving me the right to use all the material in any way I wanted.

A few years later I tried to write a fresh version of the book all in my own style, using the story framework of the original but not using much of what Jay had written. The result was unsatisfactory. There were many wonderful comic scenes but the whole thing was loose and baggy. So I put it back on the shelf.

Then about four years ago my wife, who is always trying to find things for me to do besides sit, urged me to do a new version of the potboiler, which I had come to title Naked Before The World.  So I worked on it extensively again and finally produced a version I liked. When my English publisher, Harper-Collins, didn’t like it enough I published it at my own expense, although I sold a Spanish version for a big advance.

And then more than a year ago a friend announced that he wanted to make a musical out of Naked Before The World. Since I thought Naked wasn’t a particularly cinematic book and that no one else would probably want to make a film of it I let him run with it, even though I thought the idea of it being a musical was a bad one.

Today, we are closer to making the film than I have ever been with any of my many film projects. I revised my screenplay in January to make the film a non-musical and we now have two successful production companies working on the funding.

So on my agenda these days is helping the producers of Naked prepare their brochure for the pitch to investors, polishing the screenplay, and acting as one of the co-producers of this thing.

I’ve been mulling over a new novel but so far haven’t gotten into it.

TAGS: , , , , , , ,

SIMON SMITHSON is an Australian writer and editor. He is currently based in Melbourne, Australia, but frequently finds himself in Los Angeles and San Francisco. His work has appeared on both sides of the globe in print and online in publications such as BLIP, Every Day Fiction, Beat, The Loop, My Sinking Boat, and more. He has a tumblr at www.simonsmithson.com and he runs a lifestyle experiment at www.selfhelpless.net.

68 responses to “A Date With The Dice Man: The George Cockcroft Interview Part 1”

1. Great interview – he seems like a nice guy. It’s interesting that he wrote the book over so many years. I think I’d struggle a lot with keeping the story together with that much time.

Well, I’m going to have to go and find a copy of The Dice Man now. Abe Books don’t fail me now!

Nice interview, Simon. After my inevitable rise to fame and power, you get to be my official regime biographer.

That was a great interview. I shall have to go and get me a copy. (shame on me for not already owning this!) Oh and definitely heed the advice about avoiding roofs! Nicely done, the both of you.

4. Dice Man is the bomb, Simon! Thanks so much for bringing him on over to TNB. I had never heard of him before you got the idea for this, and although I doubt I’m going to take up the Dice lifestyle, I will say that he seems like a pretty wise man, and a charmer too. I’m going with the “let Dice Man help you publish a book of your best work” option. My money’s on that one . . . if I, like, had money, I mean.

• Simon Smithson says:

Hey, no worries Gina! He’s a very wise man, and a very pleasant one, as well. The problem with taking up the Dice Life is that once you do… but we’ll save that for Part 2.

As soon as I get home and I have a dice handy, you’d better believe I’m going to get rolling.

5. Tom Hansen says:

Wow Simon thanks, I have never heard of it either, and it sounds excellent. I want. Now

• Simon Smithson says:

It’s a lot of fun as a book, and also really interesting as an idea. Pretty hard to forget Luke Rhinehart as a character too – some of the delivery is just… man. Perfection.

Oh.

Six.

Simon,

I’ve never heard of this book or its author, so thanks for the introduction.
    I don’t understand the meaning of the numbers on the die.
    I could understand flipping a coin, but how do the dice work?

(HA! I’ll bet you don’t say “flipping a coin” over there.
    You probably say something really weird like “inverting the room.”)

• Simon Smithson says:

Yep. That’s it exactly. The coin remains static, and we flip the room around. It gets messy quickly, but we haven’t found a better way yet of making decisions.

Heh.

The die is pretty much the same, except you have six options – up to and including ‘Who should I be today?’

9. Amanda says:

“Answers are not the solution, but more often the problem.”

Indeed.

10. kristen says:

Lovely fella! Love the dice concept, and love that you just went after it w/ this. Reminds me of back when I first started writing for Runner’s World magazine (story about the link between running and creativity) and had it dawn on me, ‘you know, Joyce Carol Oates would make a GREAT interview for my story.’ A few strategic emails later and I was given (by her agent) her fax number and told to send my questions along promptly. (She answered them most deliciously.)

Sometimes it is that easy! Yay.

• Simon Smithson says:

JCO? Cool! Nice work, Kristen…

I know! Sometimes we’re so intimidated by the invisible wall of celebrity that we don’t ever take the chance, and we’re pleasantly surprised by how easy things are. Of course, it does go the other way…

11. Greg Olear says:

I’m mad at you for not calling this “The Dice Man Cometh,” or some such variation. But then, maybe that’s too obvious. In any case, nice work. I look forward to the sequel.

Those of us who spend too much time trolling the TNB comment boards recognize the name George Cockcroft. (Hi, George.)

12. Marni Grossman says:

I love that he referred to you as a “young Australian chap.” How can you not love a man like that?

I thought I had heard of every conceivable path to becoming published. I was wrong. Great interview. I really want to read the book now.

Admit it, though, you added that line about the Australian chap.

• Simon Smithson says:

I cannot recommend it highly enough. I really can’t. Despite the many comments I have made in its favor.

(Look at me, ma! I say ‘favor’ like an American now!)

14. Ducky Wilson says:

Gotta get this book. Merci.

15. Slade Ham says:

Like everyone else, I need to pick this up. This sounds fascinating and worthy of at least a few days worth of experimenting… but just with the little things. So… have you rolled yet?

16. jmblaine says:

I would have never mentioned this
    but my brain cannot help but wonder
    what it says about TNB readers
    that no one thus far
    has mentioned Andrew Dice Clay.

Second, and not that I always
    have to be the religious scholar
    but this really is an interesting aside –
    in the Old and New Testament
    casting lots (rolling dice)
    was considered a way to hear the
    voice of the LORD.

After Judas committed suicide
    the disciples rolled dice to pick
    his replacement.

Leave it to fate mate.

• Simon Smithson says:

I was unaware
      Of Judas’s unwitting replacement
      And I’m unwilling to let go
      Of the undue idea
      It may have been ADC.

17. Judy Prince says:

Hey, Simon, this guy walked right outa the 60s with a new flip/twist of psycho-philosophy. His main idea of dicing extends the “don’t get stuck in boxes” notion by scattering it to *every* action, decision, thought, attitude, emotion, and reaction. Lotsa beauty in that, I think.

I useta think the little magic eight ball toy was awesome. You’d ask it a question, and it’d give one of several pre-programmed answers.

Little horoscope blurbs can be cool, too, bcuz you take what you want from them and leave the stuff that doesn’t jump out to you. You could read any of the horoscope signs’ advice, and it’d still yield meaningful stuff. It’s really one’s mindset selecting what feels relevant to it. The underlying *basis* for selection, of course, is the true engine of power. Hence, if you’re thinking “SEX—now!” you’ll prolly select a different bit of horoscopic wisdom than if you’re thinking “Cows mooing”.

We could go on to reading tea leaves, crystal ball images, the i-jing, turtle entrails, or my own particular favourite, the bathroom rug.

Seeing things NEW—in fresh, surprising, mind-shifting ways—there’s the beauty and joy. It’s why I love great poems.

Thanks for the “idea” walk around the block!

• Simon Smithson says:

I really think so too – the sheer randomness of it is a wonderful thing.

You see the future in the bathroom rug? That’s awesome. Unless, of course, it’s every prediction is the same: you will have dry feet.

I love the magic 8 ball. I’ve got one sitting on my shelf at home.

You’re very welcome, Judy – glad you liked it!

• Judy Prince says:

Here’s the thing, Simon, about the bathroom rug—and it doesn’t matter *which* bathroom rug: I see a face in it. A different face in a different place each time I look at it. I also see faces, lots of them (none of them folks I know) in rapid succession when I’m quietened down to near-meditation. Haven’t seen a magic 8 ball, yet, tho. BTW, would you mind telling me some of the magic 8 ball responses? I recall them being beautifully general, yet somehow compelling.

18. Ben Loory says:

weird… the dice man’s been one of my favorite books for probably fifteen years now… it’s actually the only book i’ve ever gone out and bought a first edition of… and yet until this very moment i never knew that luke rhinehart wasn’t the author’s real name… very confusing to me…

i am very jealous of you for being friends with this man, simon. whatever his name is. good work.

• Simon Smithson says:

I didn’t know for a long while either – but yes, the pseudonym is a ruse! Trickery! Trickery!

Thanks, Ben. If it makes you feel better, I’m very jealous of you for living in Los Angeles.

• Ben Loory says:

that doesn’t really make me feel better. actually, that makes me feel worse. but i appreciate the sentiment. i spent some time trying to get people interested in making a movie out of the dice man once. somebody else owned the rights though. i think the con air guy? whatever the fuck his name is. the dice man by the con air guy, what an idea. crazy. i lived by the dice for a few days once, but all it ever did was make me go to taco bell.

19. zoebee says:

I love you boys. x

20. Ronlyn Domingue says:

How did I manage to never hear of this book?!

Must say, however, that for me, trusting intution is enough of a crap shoot. I’ve done things I really, really didn’t like–but it turned out okay in the end. I think. So far.

21. The Diceman is an absolutely classic classic that has never been recognised as one.

This, in part, is what makes it an even greater book.

It inspired people like Brett Whitely and Jack Thompson in the Yellow House. It stirred the hearts of many fragile souls who decided to dare a little more than they feared.

The Diceman is more than a book, it is an influence that guides people out of the mundane.

RAT
    ~O8:>

22. […] Admirer of men who live by the throw of the dice. […]

23. Dylan Joyce says:

“THE DICE MAN” – A POEM (I)
    THE DICE COMMUNE • Edit doc • Delete
    by Dylan H. Joyce, 23.10.2011

Once in the days of folk tales and yore
    There lived a man with romance…
    He fell for a book of mysterious lore:
    He lived by the mantra of CHANCE…

On any given morn’ he could waken with joy.
    (Quite easily waken with ire too)
    His little cube was his little toy,
    Put him in the mood to be YOU…

He gave up all to the whim of his die:
    His marriage, his kids, and his cat.
    Until one day it instructed him to fly
    And he fell from the sky to the floor with a SPLAT…

O! Mr. Dice Man! Won’t ya drop me a line!?
    Just to let me know that you’re fine?
    I think about you most of the time,
    Come rain or hail, snow or shine…

When he died he went to be judged by the Lord
    Who cast a mysterious eye…
    “You do know that if you live by the sword
    Then by the sword you shall die?”

“This I know,” said The Dice Man prepared.
    “I factored it into my thinking.”
    “Then,” said the Lord. “How have you fared?”
    “I jumped from a ship that was sinking.”

This made the Lord stop and ponder
    That “if suicide is a sin
    Then this funny little Dice Man, I wonder…
    Can I let him in?”

O! Mr. Dice Man! Won’t ya drop me a line!?
    Just to let me know that you’re fine?
    I think about you most of the time,
    Come rain or hail, snow or shine…

“To HELL you must go!” screamed the Lord with his voice
    Which was trembling from so much strain.
    “Living by CHANCE is not YOUR CHOICE.”
    Our Dice Man could not remain.

Down in the depths of Hades so hot
    The Dice Man met a Philosopher damned.
    He rolled to see if he should roll or not…
    “Fair poet,” he said. “Won’t ya give me a hand?”

“What be the conundrum my friend?” he did say.
    “I’ll tell ya with all of my heart.
    It’s the Lord who I spoke to earlier today,
    I cannot think where to start…”

O! Mr. Dice Man! Won’t ya drop me a line!?
    Just to let me know that you’re fine?
    I think about you most of the time,
    Come rain or hail, snow or shine…

“I told the Lord my life had finished
    So I opted for the Die to kill…
    But he told me that my sin diminished
    My chances because of free will!”

“You’ve broken the rules,” said the Philosopher in reply.
    “You must learn to accept your folly.”
    The Dice Man listened while the birds in the sky
    Rolled on air currents, so jolly…

“The Lord gave man free will for a reason,
    To make him learn spiritual truths.”
    Our Dice Man meditated, felt like a heathen…
    “FUCK IT, I’M REHASHING THE RULES…!!”

“THE SEARCH FOR THE DICE MAN” – A POEM (II)
    THE DICE COMMUNE • Edit doc • Delete
    by Dylan H. Joyce, 26.10.2011

The Dice Man lingered as all around
    Demons twitched, not makin’ a sound,
    And his feet tred softly on the ground…
    As he marched on down to see SATAN…

“FUCK THAT!” He thought on this glorious morn’.
    “I asked to die, not to be born!”
    So dirty boots tramplin’ all over the lawn,
    He marched on down to see SATAN…

It’s a magnificent temple in which The Dark Lord resides,
    Guarded by Angels overflowin’ the sides,
    And it’s inside a mansion that The Dark Lord hides…
    The whole world wanted to see SATAN…

“If it’s true,” stewed The Dice Man, “that the world belongs to Diablo…
    Then I’ll hedge my bets that inside he frets about death, so…
    Questions of WHY, and WHAT, and WHO, and WHERE… Ho!”
    These questions he’d ask of HIM – SATAN…!!

He came to the castle surrounded by fire,
    He knocked on the gate with his fist,
    “I’M NOT GOOD AND I’M NOT A LIER…!!”
    A few bangs should give them the gist…

“Who be YOU…!?” screamed the Demon.
    “I’m a sinner, you heathen!”
    Said Our Dice Man, seethin’.
    “And I’d very much like to see SATAN…!!”

“Through these gates you must pass
    But I’ll bet ya my ass
    That ya won’t get past!”
    Said the Demon strong, guarding SATAN…

Our Dice Man thought “Why!
    I’ll just roll my Die…
    Evens you DIE…
    And I’ll just go march and see SATAN…!!”

Now luckily for him,
    Just on a whim,
    The Demon was dim,
    And it was easy to go and see SATAN…

Our Dice Man was fast with his pistol,
    The Demon he didn’t stand a chance!
    With one shot straight through the temple
    The Demon was out on his ass!

Inside the gates it was lined with fire and ice,
    Angels with wings all rolling their dice!
    “A little of this I think should suffice!”
    Thought the Dice Man on his way to see SATAN…

He climbed to the top of the mountain,
    Where outside the cave was a fountain…
    “We don’t let any old lout in…!!”
    Screamed the Demon guarding SATAN…

With his pistol he shot the Demon down…
    See Our Dice Man isn’t a clown…
    He knows his way around…
    And he knew how to get through to SATAN…

So into the cave he went full of rage…
    Hades was to be his stage…
    He’d slam the book, not turn the page!
    Would Our Dice Man when he got to see SATAN…

And so there he was sat on his throne
    When The Dice Man finally found him…
    He was passed out and weary and out on a stone…
    “Hey SATAN! I’m out on a limb!”

“Good Hell!” screamed The Dark Lord
    As he drew from its sheath his sword.
    “Who let The Dice Man in here!? GUARD…!!”
    Screamed the pissy stoner SATAN…

But he’d shot them all down,
    There was no-one around…
    No Demon to be found…
    No-one to come and help SATAN…

“What’s the grand plan, big guy…?” said Our Dice Man to him
    As he’d already stated he was out on a limb,
    But unluckily for him SATAN’s not dim…
    “What do you know of me, SATAN…??”

“Why did I die for rolling a DIE? Why did you make me think that?
    I lost my life, my wife and my cat,
    My voodoo horn and my trombone hat!
    Tell me, O! Tell me dear SATAN…!!”

Satan was smooth as a Dice
    As he considered his reply…
    Then! “So as fire can melt ice,
    There’s no way on earth that a human can fly!”

And he laughed so, laughed so hard, SATAN…!!

“THE BOOK OF THE DIE” – A POEM (III)
    THE DICE COMMUNE • Edit doc • Delete
    by Dylan H. Joyce, 04.11.2011

With The Lord and Satan finding mirth in his plight,
    His piteous fall, his unconscionable flight,
    Our Dice Man was left with but *one* place to go:
    To Jesus and Lucifer, neither friend or foe…

So he went to the plains of Middle Earth so vast,
    Where so many nomads had encountered their past,
    Up through the brook towards a forest glade
    Where Jesus and Lucifer sat, ready and made…

He watched in concealment, he was in utter awe
    Of the two Archangels who before him he saw…
    They were listening to Creedence on an old 33,
    Smokin’ the WEED and swimming in the Sea…

Our Dice Man knew their stories and I’ll recount them to you now –
    That Jesus had fallen to a foul crook’s bow,
    Hung on a cross and left to choke,
    Died for our Sins, for the WISDOM he spoke…

The First Son Of The Lord, alive on the Earth,
    From the Tribe of David, of a “virginal-birth”,
    Whose Ultimate Purpose was Religious Inspiration,
    To be espoused and adopted, nation-to-nation…

And Lucifer…! Who challenged The Lord at His throne…!
    His right to Rule Paradise, the place “they” call Home…
    Her 144,000 rebelling Angels down with her she took…
    Cast down to HELL to peddle her Luck…

It was with these two Legends in mind that he stood
    Behind an old oak, his boots in the mud,
    Contemplating just what he should say…??
    He’d choose his words carefully, in anyway…

Then! Sweet Chance put Our Dice Man in full sight!
    A Bullrog had charged with its tusks of pure white!
    Jesus dropped the joint as he turned to his right:
    “Who be this on this Lunacy Night…??”

“It be but me, a simple man, who is betrothed to a terrible woe…”
    Started Our Dice Man as he crouched over, bowed down, low.
    “See I let Death to my door and confronted his face!
    Showed him no mercy, compassion or grace!

“I conspired my fate to be Death By Misadventure…
    By the roll of a Die, backed by Debenture,
    The Mercy Of Chance I gave a sinister arm,
    Suicide, a Sin, deliberate self-harm…”

Our Dice Man was pleased though nervous as a bride,
    His face became flushed with emancipating pride!
    He’d secured the Counsel of Archangels, and ho!
    He anticipated their response to this grievous tale of pity and woe…

Jesus was first off the mark with “Ah well…
    What you needed was a magical spell…”
    Then Our Christ stoked up another fat bong
    And began with the basics, with Right and what’s Wrong…

“Your Wrong is your Left, your “sinister” side…
    No matter you run too, you cannot even hide
    From the Unconscious Evils your mind has in store,
    Until, like a river they rush, all come to the fore…

“What you have done is betray your own trust,
    Death has engulfed you like a whore-bang lust
    And you’ve bitten! You’ve let sway the sinister-you!
    He’d taken over, you hadn’t a clue!

“See I understand what the Dice are about,
    Of unleashing other selves to curtsy and flout…
    But see this is what happens when it gets out of hand!
    Multiple Personality Disorder, across the land!”

Jesus then sat back in a fisherman’s chair,
    Picked his ear and stroked his hair,
    Then Beautiful Lucifer, she took the stand,
    Addressed Our Dice Man, shook his hand…

“I’m pretty impressed by that what I saw,”
    Began she in glorious awe.
    “You were foolish while brave,
    It’s a “Way” to behave!”

Lucifer continued as the Moon began to rise,
    Stars began twinkling in the twilight skies,
    With Jesus sat there building a pipe,
    Smokin’ the Herb, ignoring the hype…
    “I’ve got no gripe with what you have done,”
    Said the Archangel Lucifer under the setting Sun.
    “Life ain’t for everyone and if it’s sucked with no relief
    Then no-one should blame you for cutting it brief…

“But, see, I’m a Politician, and I play by the Law,
    And if you play with the fire you’re bound to get sore…
    My job before this was one of great Glory –
    I was in charge of God’s Seraphim, singing Holy, Holy, Holy…

“But sat in the margins I was isolating my Potential,
    My role was merely Socio-Existential,
    So I secured my rebel Angels and we went to The Lord,
    Tried Him and Trialled Him and put Him to the Sword!

“The moral of *my* story to which you can reflect
    Is never be faithful to what you expect…
    Now I’m doomed to fly o’er The Abyss for the rest of Time,
    Doomed and impoverished, not a penny nor dime…”

The three beat there for a moment in stoned silence,
    None of them were like Attilla or Hitler, no violence…
    How had they all with such UnLuck been subjected
    To a thankless existence with the sods and rejected…??

“Is there any way, anyway, that the two of you could conspire
    To aid my extradition from this pit, dark and dire?”
    Asked Our Dice Man dejected with a face full of flame.
    “Or is it just fatally More-Of-The-Same…??”

Our Dice Man took a-hold of the joint…
    He’d asked his question and made his point…
    Jesus and Lucifer gazed at the stars,
    Towards Neptune and Pluto, Venus and Mars…

Then! In a flash of hazy-mist clarity!
    Jesus and Lucifer conspired in parity!
    Then together they said “You must go and soon
    To live with ARCHANGEL AARON up on the MOON…!!”

…and that, folks, is a whole other story… 😉