BEN LOORY‘s first book, the short story collection Stories for Nighttime and Some For the Day, comes out this week. (Holding this gorgeous volume in your hand, incidentally, is a compelling argument against the e-book).

Let’s look back at his TNB offerings, in which he’s regaled us with tales of an open (and blank) book

…and the time he saw Robin Williams looking like crap

…and a dream he had in which he’s at Walgreen’s

…and his own death (let us remember him fondly as a guy who was OK at tennis)…

…and how to write a screenplay without reading Syd Field…

…and the down side of mental institutions

…and other posts that never were.

TAGS:

The Nervous Breakdown is an online culture magazine and literary community. It was founded in 2006. Our masthead can be found here.

39 responses to “Featuring…Ben Loory”

1. Uche Ogbuji says:

Not Ben Jonson, that juicing fucker. Not Jacko’s Ben, though “you’ve got a friend in me.” Not Ben Bernanke, which is why the economy sucks. Not Ben-Gurion, Israeli #1 #1. Not Ben Stein (Nor Buehler! Anyone?) Not Ben Franklin, but you’re getting warmer!

It’s Ben the fabulous fabulist (yes, I know you write more diversely than that, and awesome in any genre, but I have my predilections). Now I have a lot of Ben link clicking to do to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Luckily it’s the weekend-like.

May your literary stars continue to shine by the constellation.

Congrats, Ben! This is a great opportunity for me to get acquainted with your “Greatest Hits.” Looking forward to it!

3. Morning, Ben! This is too cool. I’m going to read all of these again. I’m excited.

You’re cool.

Ben Loory,
    I told you you’d be famous!
    I know this stuff!

Ben Loory.

I love eating sandwiches with you. I love your can collection. I love your smile. AND I LOVE YOUR WORK.
    I shouted that last bit.
    I wish you liked to share your horseradish with me but other than that, I have no complaints.

Amigo, you’d be even more badass if you had a Nobel Prize for Physics.

7. Don Mitchell says:

Not only is Ben uber-cool, but when I browsed around in his back postings I found — in a comment — the route-map to Irene Zion’s pig piece.

Thanks, Ben. Rock on.

Oh, why the physics prize? Why not try for the one with the oddest name: Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine? See? You get your choice.

• Ben Loory says:

that shit’s for doctors, don. i don’t want to be a doctor, i want to know things. and meet god and stuff like that.

pig piece?

• Don Mitchell says:

“Pig piece” was unnecessarily obscure. Sorry. I knew that Irene was looking for a piece she posted several years ago (on TNB). I had forgotten all about the .archives.thenervousbreakdown.com URL, but you mentioned it in a comment to one of your postings.

Remembering that there was such a URL led me to the piece that Irene was looking for, and that was that.

You can look for god in DNA as well as elementary particles, no? But I take your meaning.

• Don Mitchell says:

Wait! How did this get in here?

It’s old. Good thread but an old one.

Damn. Maybe Ben got his Nobel for his time machine work, and I don’t mean the Apple backup solution

8. Becky Palapala says:

I am here to offer kudos. Kudos!

I’d say I’d go read all the stories again, but when I do, I always develop a weird sort of writerly crush on you and bother you for weeks after, usually offending you in the process.

Also, I am a very busy woman.

Meaning all my clothes are dirty and my house is a mess, so I have to go play on facebook.

Ben ben ben ben ben ben hi hi hi hi

• Ben Loory says:

you’ve never offended me one time, becky. in fact, you might be the only person in the whole world who has never ever offended me even one time, just a little bit.

and thank you for the kudos. i always do like kudos.

• Becky Palapala says:

The only one! I like being special. And I like people who aren’t offended by me.

Ben, you make dreams come true.

• Ben Loory says:

that’s my job!!

well, not really.

• Erika Rae says:

Ben is ridiculously cool. I want him to come back to my house and drink apple martinis with Scott, Megan and me again. By the woodpile. I still don’t understand how “by the woodpile” came about, but I’m just sure it has something to do with the aforementioned martinis.

• Becky Palapala says:

Everybody but me has met Ben.

Stupid far-away Minnesota. *kick dirt*

• Ben Loory says:

erika, the woodpile probably has something to do with that immense pile of wood you have.

at least i seem to remember an immense pile of wood. it might have been trees. or appletinis.

becky, the world has not ended yet… someday minnesota will come closer!

• Becky Palapala says:

No no. Maybe it’s better this way.

I’m terrified to spoil it by finding out that we hate each other in real life. Maybe you file your nails in public or something.

Maybe you make a lot of sudden, loud noises.

Maybe you don’t laugh at my jokes.

Maybe my wild gesticulations and impulsive behavior are offensive to you.

Omigod, Ben, what if we don’t actually like each other at all? Just our gravatars like each other???

• Ben Loory says:

i’ve never filed my nails once in my life. well, that’s not true, i did once… it made a horrible grinding noise in my head that i am still reeling from. what a nightmare!

so no worries on that front.

plenty of others, though!

i’m sure everything will go absolutely horribly.

• Becky Palapala says:

We have nail file fear in common! You don’t know how big this is. People look at me like I’m crazy when I start gagging and run out of the room at the sound.

Now see…maybe everything will be okay after all.

Maybe if we just stick to talking about our neuroses.

• Ben Loory says:

what do you mean neuroses? i’m the picture of health. mental and otherwise. i’m in the new yorker!

• Becky Palapala says:

Oh me too. Me too. Except being in the New Yorker. And those other things.

When you have ear plugs in and then you file your nails, it sounds like you’re filing your brain.
    Little known fact.